Rocket Building Approvals

Contact Rocket
Building Approvals

The team at RocketBA are here to answer you’re tough questions. Fill in the below form and one of our team will be in contact promptly.


    Frequently Asked Questions

    Our team are experienced professionals, on hand to help with all of your residential building approvals.


    Private certifiers inspect and approve building work to ensure it complies with the approved building plans and appropriate building standards including the Planning Act 2017, the Building Code of Australia, Building Act 1975 and specific building legislation.

    Building certifiers do not:

    - Project manage or supervise trades or builders.
    - Ensure a builder is complying with their contract
    - Quality Control and disputes.
    - Cannot certify or approve work with which they are personally involved as a builder or designer, or from which they are able to gain a profit


    Under the Queensland legislation some minor building work is considered accepted development. Some local government planning schemes may require building approval. If the work is accepted development, the owner is responsible for ensuring the work complies with applicable standards, including structural sufficiency, size limits and boundary setbacks.

    When do I need a Building Approval?

    A building approval is generally required  when the scope of works are more than the below:

    • A garden shed up to 2.4 metres high (2.1 metres mean height), 10m2, 5.0 metres long and not located in the front or waterfront setback areas,
    • A fence not more than 2.0 metres high.
      • Swimming pool fencing needs approval for new work regardless of the height
      • Waterfront areas and corner lots also have special rules,
    • A one metre high retaining wall (if no loads are imposed above it, such as a building or driveway),
    • Deck up to 1.0 metre high and 10m2 when not located in any required setback area.
    • Roofed patio up to 2.4 metres high (2.1 metres mean height), 10m2, 5.0 metres long when not located in any required setback area.

    If you're not sure if you require a building approval, Send us an email or give us a call.

    Can Council make you pull down a structure?

    Yes, If you have been issued a show cause notice from Council and after a period of time and you don't provide a building approval or its unable to obtain a building approval, Council will require the structure to be removed.